Monday, September 19, 2011
Larry Lessig
I liked Larry Lessig's talk best. For one, as Mr. Stephens said, he really was very good with the visuals. The words and funny pictures and videos would flash across the screen, keeping it dynamic and interesting rather than static. The other reason I really liked it is because he raised a similar point to one of the ones I liked from the first chapter of Blown to Bits, about laws related to new technology. I think one of the main problems that causes the disconnect between the law and the new technology is that laws are most often made by older people, who are as a whole much less tech savvy than younger ones. Your average kid, and now young adults, grew up around this tech, and are intimately familiar with how it works. For another good example besides music piracy, look at video games. The current politicians in the government have probably never played a video game in their lives, and so probably have no idea about how games work, and how they affect people. Young people, on the other hand, know how to play and know lots of people who know how, and so know how it affects their mind. As such, the people making laws regarding video games think it makes anyone under forty into a serial killer, and really annoy all the gamers in the world. I just think there are lots of good parallels, between all different innovative technologies, and how they confuse people, from the airplane to the Internet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment